- Origins of American Civilization; book reading the american past
- What goals did Winthrop set for the migrants to New England? How did Puritan faith shape those goals?
- Why was migration to New England necessary according to Winthrop? What did he mean by New England “shall be as a city upon a hill?”
- What made Bishop’s witchcraft “evident and notorious to all beholders”? Why was her witchcraft only “evident” in 1692 and not earlier when the events had apparently occurred?
- In what ways did Bishop act like a witch, according to her accusers? Why did they believe she caused their misfortunes rather than accident or chance?
- In what ways did Bishop’s gender contribute to accusations against her?
Comparative/Open ended Questions:
- How did the ideals of the Arbella sermon influence the testimony against Bishop?
- To what extent did Puritan settlers succeed in creating a “new” England in the Northern colonies during the 17th century?
- In what way(s) might Puritan ideals have influenced the modern “American” character? In other words, can we talk of an “American” character that can be described as “secularized Calvinism”?