Assignment: Trauma Assessment
Assessing a survivor’s reaction to a disaster, crisis, or trauma entails gaining an understanding of how the person feels and determining whether his or her affect is appropriate or inappropriate based on the circumstances. It also involves examining how the survivor’s behavior aids or impairs his or her ability to cope, and the degree to which the person’s cognitive processes (e.g., concentration, memory, decision making) are impaired. A clear picture of the survivor’s developmental stage of life, and social and cultural environment are also needed in such an assessment. Crisis assessment occurs continuously throughout an intervention, allowing the crisis worker to determine and modify the intervention strategy according to the ongoing exposition of the survivor’s strengths and needs.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review and consider the affective, behavioral, cognitive, developmental, and ecological components of crisis assessment.
- Reflect on the â€œscreen and treatâ€ approach detailed in the London bombings article.
- Review the “Triage Assessment Form.” Think about how this assessment is used to measure survivors’ affective, behavioral, and cognitive responses.
- Review the videos about trauma on The International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies website and select one to respond to in this assignment.
Using the Triage Assessment Form (pp. 59-64 in the course text, Crisis Intervention Strategies) as a guide, identify the affective, behavioral, and cognitive responses of the survivor featured in the video that you selected.
The Assignment: (1â€“2 pages)
- Briefly describe the trauma experienced by the survivor in the video you selected.
- Using the Triage Assessment Form as a guide, explain the affective, behavioral, and cognitive responses of the survivor on the video that you selected.
- Apply the developmental-ecological assessment approach to the survivor on the video you selected. Be sure to include brief descriptions of the survivor’s developmental stage at the time of the trauma, his or her coping style, and his or her social support ecosystem.
- Explain what conclusion you might draw about the individual and his or her reaction(s) to the trauma.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation.