- When you respond to a peer posting, you don’t always have to agree with them. Use your critical thinking skills and analyze their response, give more details or challenge their assumptions. Being a good student means using critical thinking!
- You will want to create discussion board assignments that are meaningful and interesting to you personally and to your colleagues in the class.
Textbook References: Clear references to the textbook are required in both the original thread post and both peer responses for all course DBs.
- Textbook references should come from the chapter(s) specified in the assignment prompt and be clearly connected to your post and the assignment topic.
- Be sure and include the chapter and page number from the textbook in your posts, for example (chapter 2, 59), just as you would do for any research paper/post!
DBs: You can earn a total of 15 points per discussion board: 10 points maximum for your original thread posting and 5 points maximum for your response to 2 or more other student’s postings:
- Original posts should be at least 500-600 words total and have a least 1 textbook reference from each specified chapter. You will have 2 references per original DB post.
- Each of the two peer responses should be at least 150 words each in length and have a least 1 textbook reference from the specified chapter. You will have a textbook reference in each of your peer response posts.
Chapter 7: Listening does not just happen face-to-face, but also when we respond to another person in writing. Use your favorite social media outlet (Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or a text discussion) and follow a couple of conversations. The conversations can be yours or interactions that others are having. Answer the following questions:
- How is the listening process (hearing through responding) as described in the text impacted by conversations held via social media?
- Copy an example of an original comment and another personâ€™s response to the comment. What did the respondent say to indicate that they â€œheardâ€ the other personâ€™s message?
- Copy an example of an original comment and response where you perceived that the other person wasnâ€™t â€œlisteningâ€ to what the original poster said. What did the respondent say to make you believe that the original poster was not heard?
- Do you feel that other people are sincerely listening to you when you interact with them via social media? Why or why not?
- Be sure to include terms from the chapter to help explain your experiences â€œlisteningâ€ via social media.
Chapter 8: Read the Psychology Today piece â€œFaster than a Speeding Text: â€œEmotional Contagionâ€ at Workâ€
Answer the following questions:
- Do you agree that â€œemotions are contagiousâ€? Why or why not?
- Have you experienced a time when othersâ€™ emotions â€œrubbed offâ€ on you? Explain.
- The article gives suggestions for using mood contagion to promote positive team dynamics and increase employeesâ€™ performance. What is your assessment of the suggestions? Might they be effective?
- What strategies do you use to control your emotions, despite what others around you are feeling
- Be sure to include terms from the chapter to help support your claims