According to research conducted by Chingos, Whitehurst, and Lindquist for the Brown Center on Education Policy, “Superintendents are highly visible actors in the American education system. As the highest ranking official in a school district, the superintendent receives a lot of credit when things go well, and just as much blame when they don’t” (2014, p. 1). As witnessed by the existence of federal and state laws regulating the work of district leaders, local school district governance including the work of the superintendent and board is believed to be important for providing the leadership and structure necessary for establishing a clear vision for the district, high expectations for student achievement, quality of instruction, and clear goals for student outcomes. In this assignment, you will explore the influence of district governance on student outcomes.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Refer to Chingos, Whitehurst, and Lindquist (2014).
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Write a paper (1,000-1,250 words) that addresses influence of district leadership on student outcomes. Include the following in your paper:
- A discussion of how federal and state laws affect the means by which a superintendent carries out the duties of the office.
- A research-based discussion of the leadership methods superintendents could employ when working with governing boards and local stakeholders relative to implementation of federal and state education laws and other initiatives for improving student outcomes.
- A discussion of the types and sources of training and assistance necessary for governing board members to increase their collective knowledge regarding the role of school governance in advancing high expectations and learning outcomes for all students.