Walden University has established high ethical standards for research. Many ethical challenges can be addressed before you begin your research project. In fact, Waldenâ€™s institutional research board (IRB) must approve your research proposal before you can begin recruiting research participants or collecting data.
Receiving IRB approval is not the end of your ethical considerations; it is just the beginning. As you read this weekâ€™s resources, note the types of ethical issues you may face from the planning phase of your research study through its publication and dissemination. Think about the research topics in which you have a strong interest and consider what ethical challenges you might face if you were to pursue one of these topics for your dissertation project.
Write a description of two ways that the guidelines in Walden Universityâ€™s IRB document, â€œResearch Ethics FAQs for Doctoral Students in the Clinical/Intervention Fields: Practical Tips for Avoiding Delays and Problems in the Research Approval Process,â€ may impact your selection of a research population, research setting, and/or research design. Be specific, explaining how the guidelines apply to the study you are considering addressing in your prospectus, as well as any vulnerable populations with whom you might interact.
- Creswell, J. W., Creswell, J. D. (2018). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chapter 4, â€œWriting Strategies and Ethical Considerationsâ€ (pp. 75-98)
- Roberts, C. M. (2010). The dissertation journey: A practical and comprehensive guide to planning, writing, and defending your dissertation (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Chapter 3, â€œWhat Are the Ethical Considerations in Research?â€ (pp. 31â€“44)
- Walden University. (2014). Office of research integrity and compliance: Institutional review board for ethical standards in research. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/researchcenter/orec
- Walden University. (2014). Research ethics FAQs for clinical/intervention settings: Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/researchcenter/orec/guides
- IRB Form for Ethics Review at Walden [online tutorial]. Retrieved from http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/Kel0pm0Cf9e2D4GAI18e